India Bazaar is South Africa’s largest Indian grocery online store with an eclectic collection of Indian products online. We believe in serving our customers with the best Indian grocery along with the best shopping experience.
Rice is a staple in any kitchen, and with so many different types, it can really alter the result of a recipe. Each type of rice has its own essence and characteristics. But the catch is to find the best type of rice that's suitable for your recipe. This article will help you to determine the differentiating factors of various rice, from basmati to ponni and more!
India Bazaar has the largest variety of rice in Johannesburg, South Africa and is the one stop online grocery store for you at your finger tips.
The aroma king of rice and everyone's beloved Basmati is surely the most preferred rice when we talk about cooking Pulaos, Phirnis or Biryanis. This long grained beauty has an intoxicating fragrance that has captivated the hearts of every Indian. This rice is grown specifically in India and Pakistan and is geographically exclusive to both these countries.
- Ideal for diabetic patient because of its lower glycemic index
- Has high fibre that prevents clotting
- Prevents the formation of cancer cell
- Controls blood pressure
- Rich in potassium and magnesium
- Helps in proper movement of the digestive system
How to Cook perfect Basmati:
- Proper Soaking before cooking
- Do not stir
- Let it take its own time to cook
- Add colours for a vibrant touch
The top line variant of rice, famous for its refined taste and quality in South India. This rice is named after the Kaveri river which is also known as Ponni. Being one of the top variant in rices, it is quite expensive.
- Reduce the risk of diabetes
- Improve digestion
- Gluten free
- High in fibre
- Low on glycemic
- Contains less starch
- Contains double the fibre than white rice
How to Cook Ponni rice:
- Cook in pressure cooker and save time and energy
- Cook 235g of ponni rice in 1-1/4 cup of water
- Cook for 4 mins for a cooked rice with hardness in the centre
- Surti Kolam:
The most fundamental spice and the best friend to salt, Pepper belongs to the Piperaceae family. There are many varieties of pepper among which the black, green, white (which is the core that is left after the skin is hulled and removed) are most popularly used. Black pepper is the world's most traded spice, and is one of the most common spices added to cuisines around the world.
- White pepper may cure impotency in males.
- Black pepper oil helps in decreasing swallowing problems in the elderly especially those inflicted by stroke.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
- Improves gut health
- Maintain a healthy cholesterol level
- Increases the absorption of many nutrients like calcium and selenium
- Calories: 19
- Total Fat: 0.2g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Potassium: 170mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 4.6g
- Protein: 10g
Click here to check out the complete range of Surti Kolam
- Matta Rice:
The black pearl of spices Kalonji is also known by the name of Kalojeera, Kalanji, black seeds, black caraway, fennel flower, onion seeds and Nigella. Phew! that’s quite a lot of name for such a tiny seed. Kalonji belongs to the Ranunculaceae family, it is a shrub. Kalonji seeds oil is used to make Ayurvedic medicines. We have already spoken about its benefits in our last blog Homemade infused hair oil for reversing grey hair
- Increases memory
- Treats acne
- Treats cracked heels
- Treats headaches
- Aids in weight loss
- Controls blood pressure
- Maintains dental health
- Calories: 7
- Total fat: 0 grams (g)
- Carbohydrates: 1.0 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Potassium: 64.9 milligrams (mg)
- Calcium: 22.2 mg.
- Iron: 0.81 mg.
- Magnesium: 13.3 mg.
- Phosphorus: 10.3 mg.
Click here to check out the complete range of Matta Rice
- Sona Masoori:
This spice is no less than a star in your kitchen and is also considered as a healing herb. It belongs to the Schisandraceae family and is plucked before it is ripened and dried before used. Star anise is used for both, aroma and sweetness. It is one of the main ingredients in the many oriental dishes.
- Hydrates dry skin and decreases wrinkles
- Relieves skin inflammation and prevents infections
- Reduces nausea and improves digestion
- Prevents the growth of fungi and bacteria
- Normalizes blood sugar levels
- Iron: 37mg
- Calcium: 640mg
- Potassium: 1440mg
- Zinc: 5.3mg
- Manganese: 2.3 mg
- Phosphorus: 440mg
Click here to check out the complete range of Sona Masoori
We are offering Whatsapp Ordering system, where you can send us your Indian grocery list, and we will convert your groceries into an Indian grocery items list pdf, so that you can go live your best life and leave the groceries on us, we will make sure that your groceries are delivered on time, and your shelves are never empty!